Thursday, 18 October 2012

West Coast Creature Feature-The Ubiquitous but Adorable Raccoon

 
raccoon family, by smallgirl
I love raccoons. I know a lot of people dislike their wiley-sneaking-fruit-and-crop-stealing-garbage-rooting-asking-for-free-hand-outs-cat-eating-hissing-in-the-night ways, but every time I look into a raccoon's eyes, it melts my heart.
raccoons at the pond by smallgirl

Raccoons are highly intelligent, well-adapted forest and urban dwelling mammals. While typically nocturnal unless ill, where I live, healthy raccoons can also be observed in urban areas because they have learned to beg for food from humans. Feeding raccoons is a bad, bad idea folks! They are smart enough to get their own food, yet also smart enough to know that they don't have to when people are around. At the local forest (natural food like banana slugs, fish, clams, frogs, small mammals, berries, and mushrooms are abundant here), young children have been bitten and hissed at where I have observed people feeding raccoons unnatural foods such as chocolate, brussells sprouts, bread, and dog biscuits. Once, when I refused a raccoon food, it started tugging at my pant legs with its paws and tapping my shoes. Negative encounters lead to conflict and possibly deadly concequences for the raccoons.
 
young raccoon, by smallgirl
So, have a fun look-but-don't-feed-the-raccoons weekend!


3 comments:

  1. Good thinking, smallgirl! Feeding wild animals can hurt them more than we realize. Nice photos! xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what beautiful photos!!! Racoon's have such adorable faces, I love them too!!
    Hugs
    vicky ♥ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love raccoons and these are really good photos of them!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Although I may not always respond, I really appreciate your feddback and comments on my blog. Thank you for commenting :)